Thursday 20 November 2014

Thoughts on TVB's 48th 2014 Anniversary Gala Show

I just watched TVB's 48th Anniversary Gala and and I can say that it was generally entertaining. Clashing with HKTV's grand opening for their online TV broadcast, I was expecting TVB to summon all of their artists and make it as grand as possible (like last year) and this year the show was not bad at all. 

One of the most memorable moment throughout the show was of course Wong Cho Lam's marriage proposal to Leanne Li during the magic segment. I applaud Wong Cho Lam for having the courage to propose in front of hundreds of celebrities and hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of HK citizens glued to the television. That being said, he wasn't scared of Leanne rejecting him anyway since he probably knew she would definitely said 'yes'! I liked the fact that Wong Cho Lam's buddies like Bob, Roger, Eric Tsang were informed beforehand and were genuinely excited for Cho Lam's proposal. 


Wong Cho Lam's marriage proposal though faced some criticisms from the public saying it was an attention-seeking attempt to boost up ratings. I see where everyone is coming from this but:
1. HKTV was actually the one trying who tried to drag down TVB's ratings by deliberately choosing their grand opening day for the 19th of November.If HKTV wants to drag down TVB's ratings, why can't TVB do something back? 
2. I don't see why Wong Cho Lam can't propose in front of TV. Like what he said himself, it was a golden opportunity where all of his close colleagues, whether friends like Bob, the elderly like Eric Tsang, Dodo Cheng and Liza Wang and giving a chance for the audience to witness their life moment. 
It's a win-win situation (where TVB may gain higher ratings and word of mouth and Cho Lam gained a fiancée). As simple as that.

I expected it but still found it rather bizarre how some people thought Leanne 'deserved' a better looking person who should be around the same height as her. She looked more than happy to marry Wong Cho Lam and I don't think she said 'yes' because she was pressured but she was more shocked and moved by the proposal. Other than that, first time I have seen Wong Cho Lam to be that nervous and shaky! I could see that the celebrities such as Linda Chung, Law Lan (being part of the audience) was teary and genuinely moved by the marriage proposal as well.

Another surprise was that Oscar Leung was actually promoted as one of the hosts for the anniversary gala. I guess he did alright overall; he was quite eloquent, spoke rather clearly and knew his lines well. Slight problem was that he lacked the '幽默感‘ but that takes time and experience and I know he will improve given that he takes more opportunity as a host for live shows.Unsurprisingly though, Charmanie Sheh is officially TVB's number one sister. She was everywhere!

Someone did mention that Ruco Chan was basically seen no-where to be seen (I did see him during the racing segment and his bald head was very noticeable) or more on the fact that not much attention was paid to him. After all it was an anniversary gala and there were hundreds of celebrities so it wasn't too bad that he was buried into the background. I did notice he seemed to enjoy talking to Koni Lui at the background. 

What was irritating in my humble opinion was the constant overlapping amongst the hosts. Astrid Chan was never a good host in my opinion, Eric Tsang was uncertain throughout the whole time, Grace was too perky and rather unnatural, Luisa's voice always sounded lazy and unamusing and Nat Chan sort of looked a bit 'pissed off' (maybe from all the confusion and the games not being followed by the rules?). Also, when they rehearsed the show they should of realised that it was difficult for the candles to be lit with all the air-conditioning or wind. 

Want to know my favourite segment? OK. It was the singing segment involving the cast from the series 'Come On, Cousin'. Songs sang by couples such as Louis Cheng and Ivana Wong were great but the most groundbreaking was Ram Chiang's singing performance that was absolute magnificent! Will he become the next hidden gem like Fred Cheng?  

Overall, I admit that not all parts of the show kept me on my seat but frankly anything of two hours is a tad too much for me to bear. I could see everyone had fun so all good!!! 

Did you like this year's anniversary gala show? Feel free to comment! 

No comments:

Post a Comment