Wednesday 19 November 2014

My Top 5 Recommended 2014 TVB Series to win Best Drama of the Year!

As you have been aware I haven't been blogging for a long while since last year yet I still watch the majority of the TVB series that have been broadcast this year. Some of them were surprisingly great, some rather disappointing but most were actually quite decent this year. The following list will be very brief and I will save the details and genuine thoughts for my reviews instead. I admit that this wasn't the best year for TVB in terms of ratings but story and acting-wise rather impressing indeed!

In no particular order;

5. Glided Chopsticks (食為奴

I really enjoyed watching this series for the amazing chemistry among the cast and rather dramatic at times. It pales in comparison compared to 'Happy Ever After' but still nice in my opinion. This series is not without its flaws though but still worth a try for an exploration on the struggles to become an emperor. Highly recommended!

4. Storm in a Cocoon (守業者

This is a very suspenseful series that will keep you on your seat throughout the entire series. At first glance you will be unamused by its rather boring looking background set in the olden days and about silk business (more about who killed the big sister). A must watch! 

3. Never Dance Alone (女人俱樂部)


I never really had any high expectations for this year but yes it was great in the sense it portrayed the idea of friendship really well. Because of this series, I am now liking Flora Chan more and more and basically like all seven main characters. Go watch it! 

2. Ruse of Engagement (叛逃) 


Even though this series was filmed three years ago, it was captivating to watch and had me guessing all the time 'who is the mole?'. If you haven't watched it yet I'll let you figure it out. Even though some of the cast's acting (cough cough Aimee and Ron) were cringing to watch at times. This is not your everyday crime drama. Try it out! 

1. Black Heart White Soul (忠奸人)


Last but not the least, Black Heart White Soul was an amazing series. Watch it for Roger's Kwok fantastic portrayal of the selfish 'Matt' and you can really expect a lot of serious drama in this series. Recommended! 

As you can see, all these series excel in their unique ways and trust me you will like these series. For a light-hearted series try 'Never Dance Alone'. For an action-packed crime series try 'Ruse of Engagement', 'Glided Chopsticks' if you like palace drama (do not be misled, this is not really a comedy series at all), 'Black Heart White Soul' if you are a fan of the battle of wits and scheming for one's own self-interest, and finally 'Storm in a Cocoon' for a pre-modern themed detective series. I will be satisfied if any of these series win 'Best Drama of the year' for the 2014 TVB Anniversary Awards Ceremony (though my instinct for some reasons tells me 'Line Walker' will win instead) and we shall find out. Watched these series already? Feel free to comment on whether you agree with me or not.   

2 comments:

  1. I might try Gilded Chopsticks sometime. I've seen a bit of Storm In A Cocoon, Never Dance Alone & Black Heart White Soul though it seemed boring, so I stopped. But that's just my opinion. How come Line Walker isn't in your top 5? I actually thought it was decent from start til end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Line Walker' is actually one of my favourite series as well but I just thought that the plot went too crazy and started to lack any sense or logic. Overall I really liked it but the part towards the ending was in my opinion dreadful (Raymond Lam lost his chance for Best Actor for his unconvincing performance during that part). Besides the predictable ending of (Michael is the undercover and actually a good cop), overall I really did enjoy watching it!

    ReplyDelete