Tuesday 29 December 2015

Overall Review of TVB Series in 2014


Since I have watched quite a lot of TVB series from 2014 I might as well make a round-up commentary about them. Some of them I only watched a little bit while others I watched all the episodes. 

Guide: The series title coloured in green means highly recommended for me, yellow means the series is so-so and red means must avoid at all cost!

NOTE: I only commented for some series as I left the rest and left it as a draft until now, and my thoughts of the other series I've watched are a bit blurry. Sorry!

TVB Series
Awards Won
Return of the Silver Tongue
舌劍上的公堂
Comment: I only watched bits and pieces of this series so no comment. 
Outbound Love
單戀雙
Comment: I only watched around half of the series so no comment. 
Storm in a Cocoon
守業者
















Theme: Silk Business, Mystery, Period Drama

What I've got to say about this series:
This is a fantastic series that will get you guessing 'who killed the elder sister' and keep you anticipated for the next episode. It marks the comeback of Steven Ma who I think performed very well as some-one good-hearted yet unscrupulous in his actions. The plot is equally as good as the performances with red-herrings everywhere on who is the murderer. I admit the ending is lame but the performances from everyone redeemed the series. The English name itself is even outstanding; 'Storm in a Cocoon' - sounds mighty dramatic and relevant to the storyline. A Must Watch.

What people have said about this series: This series got quite a lot of noise from Steven Ma and Tavia Yeung fans. Netizens praised this series as unpredictable and highly addictive. Also, Tavia Yeung's "excessive" lip-gloss garnered a lot of comment. Ratings-wise this series performed well with a peak rating of 35.

Most Memorable Scene You Must Watch:
The wedding scene (in Episode 25) of 'Ka Yeung' and 'Bing Bing' and where Chi Yan protested their marriage. It was Tavia Yeung's best moment where she said "So what I am re-marrying? Why should I reject someone who truly loves me? I married to the wrong person last time, but this time I won't. I will remarry no matter what, and I will say it loudly and proudly!"The dialogue in that scene was perfect and at the same time it was very dramatic.

Swipe Tap Love
愛我請留
TVB Anniversary Awards 2014
·         Most Improved Female Artiste: Priscilla Wong
Ghost Dragon of Cold Mountain
寒山潛
Comment: Only watched a little bit so no comment. 
Rear Mirror
載得有情
Comment: Only watched a little bit so no comment. 

What I've got to say about this series:



What other people have said about this series:


Most Memorable Scene:

All That is Bitter is Sweet
大藥





















Theme: Medicine Business, Period Drama

What I've got to say about this series: I didn't feel much for the characters in this series. Linda Chung as "Gaai Kei' was painful to watch with her being so stressed all the time. On the other hand, Sammy Sum did great as someone ruthless and corrupted. Natalie Tong's character was too depressing for me to care. When I first watched the trailer in TVB's Sales Presentation I was thrilled to watch this as it seemed to be a series about empowerment and inspiration but at the end of the day it was more about corruption and power abuse and people with a big ego. The English name for this series in my opinion is too long, just like how the series itself was too long.

What other people have said about this series: This series didn't get much attention despite it being quite anticipated. Surprisingly Ruco did great but not much comment from fans about his performance in here. Overall, word of mouth and ratings suffered.

Most Memorable Scene: Definitely Raymond Wong's death scene. His tragic death was totally avoidable but he died on the hands of Linda's father who was too over-confident with his diagnosis. I liked the dialogue between Raymond and Linda where he said "We will live together in harmony and next second spat blood to Linda's father's face. Dramatic.

Come on, Cousin
老表,你好hea!







































Theme: Supermarket Business, Comedy, Modern

What I've got to say about this series: A very witty series. Despite all the criticism towards this series, I still found it very funny and clever, making it one of the most funniest TVB series I have ever watched. Wong Cho Lam did great as a scriptwriter with the funny gags that he thought of - the whole 'Shirley shark thing and I love eating shark fin thing', 'the I want to inherit my father's business mockery situation'. I found Roger Kwok's character to be very entertaining to watch with his now classical quote "How organic!" The downfall of this series though was that sometimes it was a bit lame and direction-less. One moment it focused on the supermarket business then it was something about awards ceremony. Compared to Inbound Troubles, this series lacked consistency but for me the chemistry of the cast and the performances redeemed this series.

What other people have said about this series: Even though it was one of three TVB Anniversary Series of the year, it didn't get a positive reception from the audience but apparently it was too lame for people to watch. Overall, people felt disappointed about this series.

Most Memorable Scene: For me it was definitely Roger Kwok's learning how to become a politician scene (in episode 19 I presume) where he had to convince the shoppers in the supermarket whether to buy pork or to not. One moment he said that pork is very nutritious for everyone to eat (convincing the shoppers to buy the pork), then warning them of the risks of eating pork (convincing the shoppers to feel too scared to buy pork), then saying pork's risk is actually very minimal (making them want to buy pork again) and then crying how because of fulfilling people's desire to eat pork a pig's life has to be sacrificed (making them not buy pork at the end). I found that scene to be very very very funny and proves why Roger Kwok is a brilliant actor. 
Coffee Cat Mama
貓屎媽
Theme: Cafe Business, Comedy, Modern

What I've got to say about this series: A highly entertaining series that grabs your attention with the limitless funny scenes and refreshing cast. Even though I hated the ending of the series where it ended so miserably, I've got to say it was consistently engaging to watch with limitless funny gags and the great performances by Bosco, Eliza and Vincent. A must watch for a few good laughs but don't except a great storyline or plot because there isn't really. P.S The English name sounds too confusing.

What other people have said about this series: With a graveyard slot, unsurprisingly people were either out on holidays or overseas so probably not many people cared about this hidden gem. There was a rather debate from Nancy Wu's dedicated fans complaining about Eliza Sum being the leading lady when in fact Nancy Wu should of been. (I thought Eliza did fine in Coffee Cat Mama though).

Most Memorable Scene: There was this scene where Bao Chi Tai (Bosco Wong) was talking with his best friend how he was sorry he accused him of stealing money in the Cafe restaurant and it seemed like they were confessing their love to one another like a couple and then suddenly comes a bunch of ordinary HK people saying "It's ok you two are in love, Hong Kong is very open now so no need to be scared". I laughed at that scene so badly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment