Monday 16 December 2013

TVB Anniversary Awards Ceremony 2013 Thoughts and Review

First.... Woah!!! This years anniversary awards ceremony was truly surprisingly. I expected TVB would change it up a little bit but its gone so different! 

Most Improved Actor
Winner: Vincent Wong (Friendly Fire, Season of Love, Sergeant Tabloid, A Change of Heart, Will Power) 


Yay!!! Congratulations to Vincent! He has improved the most this year especially with his role in Will Power! His speech was clear, humble and optimistic for the future. 

Most Improved Actress

Winner: Eliza Sam (Inbound Troubles, Triumph in the Skies II, Sniper Standoff, The Hippocratic Crush II)




Expected win but a rather deserving win! From the nomination clip I couldn't see any other candidates whose popularity or acting skills may have been near Eliza, even Priscilla Wong who has Sandy Yu promoting her like hell. 

Best Actress in a Supporting Role 

Winner: Elena Kong - Triumph in the Skies II



Congratulations! Elena Kong finally won an award! Even though I don't think TITSII should be her representative role, I admired how she is always hardworking and willing to take 'heavy-flavour' roles! She was really surprised when announced she was the winner and she was really emotional! 

Best Actor in a Supporting Role 
15. Benz Hui - Bounty Lady 





Really surprising win! Don't take me wrong as I am proud for Benz to take the award but I just never thought a veteran like him would win given TVB wants Edwin or Him to win so much! I bet you deep inside Edwin he was disappointed losing to all 4 nominations! Oh well frankly I think Benz was amazing in Bounty Lady. He said his speech in a really joyful way and the content on how people shouldn't blame TVB was right in a way.

Most Popular TV Female Character 

Winner: Yiu Man Ying - Brother's Keeper (Kristal Tin)




Woo! Go Kristal! Her humble speech was really touching but I don't really buy it how she 'never' thought she would win because deep in there she should have a clear picture that she was the most likely winner. Well Congratulations to her because her character in Brother's Keeper was truly the most popular! By the way I find it rather weird how they made the Popular TV awards being presented at the very end as it sort of overshadows the Best Actor/Actress Awards. 

Most Popular TV Male Character 

Winner: Koo Ha Yeung (Jayden) - Triumph in the Skies II (Chilam Cheung)




Expected win and congratulations to Chilam! I found it rather funny how he mentioned his not really well liked by people from TVB (he didn't win the Best Actor Award where 50/50 of the votes is from audience/judging panel). Even though he wasn't my favourite character in TITSII, he was truly the most popular amongst the audience! By the way I like how he gave recognition to Francis Ng for teaching him so much and I was surprised Francis Ng was able to come half way in that I nearly thought he would get an award!!!

Best Actress in a Leading Role 

Winner: Kristal Tin - Brother's Keeper



Although expected I don't agree on this award for Best Actress. There were much more truly deserving Best Actresses such as Tavia Yeung (major improvement from HCI), Joey Meng, Ada Choi and Esther Kwan! Nevertheless, I do like her emotional speech and I do wish her well for her TV Career. By the way poor Linda for having high hopes for winning Best Actress (she wore black dress as the pattern for previous Best Actresses) and at the end she ended up with nothing... But looking at it in the positive perspective, I think it is a gain for her because there would be no complaints from viewers. I believe Linda Chung will get her opportunity in the future (perhaps Tiger Cubs 2?)

Best Actor in a Leading Role

Winner: Dayo Wong - Bounty Lady




Now this is what I call surprise! I was half-expecting Chilam, Franics or Kenneth to take this award but suddenly it was Dayo. Congratulations to Dayo for Best Actor even though I feel like this award was wasted. Wasted not because Dayo didn't deserve it but he didn't need it or care about it. If you have heard the phone call you would of known he had no idea what was going on and was just being thankful like it was a joke. I do however praise Dodo for making a quick and clever initiative to call Dayo about the win even though I am slightly suspicious on how quickly they were able to get a microphone and Dodo's mobile phone so fast. I guess I am over-thinking...

Best Drama

Winner: Triumph in the Skies II 




Definitely no surprises for this one but I am overall satisfied so congratulations!. TITSII may not have the best storyline but given that it bragged the biggest cast, gained the most popularity and had the highest ratings there was no way TVB would give it to another drama (except Brother's Keeper but that series had its own flaws anyway). By the way they are going to make a movie version of TITS but I don't think its necessary and it may over-milk the series like 'EU'. 

Other mentions: Sorry but I am disgusted on how Priscilla and Tony won Best Informative Program and Best hosts. That for me was the biggest disappointment of the night. 

Overall, this years TVB awards ceremony was enjoyable to watch but shockingly horrible in terms of time management and atmosphere. The speech background music tried to make it so emotional but it was rather distracting. Oh and can somebody fire the crew who keeps on telling people to shorten their speeches? There was so much time left that they basically had nothing to do so I was pretty grumpy with them. I also didn't like how the tone of the awards ceremony was more like an anniversary gala rather than an anniversary ceremony like back in 2012? Costumes worn by everything were good and the results were great though!

Reference to my predictions: I got 8/10 right I think which I am happy with! 




3 comments:

  1. Anthony, with Dayo-Phone-Dodo, you're overthinking. I think it wasn't a set up.

    Anyway Edwin does not deserve BSA. Come on! Against so many veterans? If he wins, it will be a travesty.

    I also expected Francis to win when he showed up and suddenly Dayo won. Very very happy with the results.

    *clap**clap* TVB did well! Now if they will just upgrade the entire atmosphere, get a bigger studio, more budget, get everyone to dress formally and stop with the interviewing antics and make this truly like Emmy award and get deserving winners and I feel credibility will be established 5 years from now. Hopefully they don't mess with the formula next year. However Best Series is nonsense. Inbound Troubles deserve the win. TITS 2 was rigged,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think Dayo wasn't thankful. I think he was shocked that Dodo called him and then said he won Best Actor. he as just being funny. And awards is not just for those who you feel will appreciate it. It is to award those who deserves it. To me either Francis, Ruco or Dayo. Francis to me is a contender with Dayo in terms of best actor for a specific role and Ruco 3rd choice. I am just happy Dayo won and his telephone speech was seriously funny and lightened the mood.

      And yes the time management was terrible; Dodo was terrible as if no practice. Amigo was ok.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Funn Lim. My only disappointment was Best Drama, Inbound Troubles definitely deserves it. And Dayo!!! A surprise, but a really pleasant one. The phone call part was the me laughing part. And I was like... I know Dayo won't get Best Actor but at least let him get Top 5 (he was the last to be nominated if I'm not mistaken). Turns out he won.

    ReplyDelete