Sunday 11 January 2015

Been WatchingThe Empress of China (武媚娘传奇) Lately

TVB aside, I have actually been paying attention to the tv series 'The Empress of China' lately broadcast by Hunan TV. Boasting a budget of roughly US $49.53 million, I was impressed with the eye-catching costumes and grand scenery. Do I like this series? I have to say I really did enjoy watching it with top-notch performances by all the veterans.



Like some netizens have pointed out, the start of the series showed the actresses with 'revealing cleavage'. I was surprised by this and at the same time not surprised that the scenes got censored given the drama is seen by minors as well. 

So far I am up to episode 43 out of 82 and so far not bad at all except for some plot-holes and flaws. In episode 18 I watched this scene where Consort De I think was committing suicide after being busted for attempting to poison the emperor and 'Wu Yu Yi' trying to persuade her not to but she still ended up diving to the water. It was a weird scene because when Consort De was walking towards the river Wu Yu Yi did absolutely nothing but cry and cry and say 'don't!'. She should of ran up to Consort De and grabbed her arm to make sure she doesn't even go near the river but none of that. What got me more dumbfounded was when Consort De was actually taking her shoes off and giving a pretty good indication she is about to jump off the river and Wu Yu Yi still just stood there saying 'no!'. Until Consort De actually jumped off was when Wu Yu Yi actually stepped a bit to try and grab her but too late. For me that was one bad acting moment for 'Fan Bing Bing' who could of done much more rather than being a by-stander and being out of character.

But other than that, Fan Bing Bing has been doing consistently well with her expressive eyes and perfect emotions.

One thing that is beyond my understanding is how the Consorts and the Dukes plan and reveal their scheming out in the open, like when strolling the parks. Wouldn't other people walking by eavesdrop them somehow? To me this makes the series less masterful than I have hoped for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment